Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Get To Know Your Guide: Ron Sedall



Get To Know Your Guide: Ron Sedall



When did you learn to fly fish?

I was young, maybe 4 or 5. My father started taking me to small creeks in the Jemez Mountains.

Why did you become a guide?

The culture surrounding guides was something that I loved. A lifestyle of “play hard and fish harder”. There are amazing moments that come from such a life, moments that are hard to accurately display in all the popular fishing magazines, although the attempts are great. It was during one of these indescribable moments that I knew for certain that this is why I was on this planet. When else does one get to sit back and read the endless writings of the natural world?

Where are you from and how did you end up in Taos?

I grew up in Corrales, which is a small farming community north of Albuquerque. I was working a restaurant job while I struggled through my attempt at college. It was while working this restaurant job that I met Taylor Streit. After a lengthy conversation about Taos and guiding with Taylor I was soon living in the basement of the Taos Fly Shop paying my dues and displaying my dedication. Taos was always alluring to me, especially the Rio Grande and its density of water.

What is your most memorable experience as a guide?

My most memorable experience was my first trip. I didn’t sleep due to the stress, not knowing what the next day would bring. But I learned what has become a pattern, all nerves subside and all is well when the fish are caught.

What is your goal when you take clients on a trip?

A client’s satisfaction is everything. I want their experience to strengthen their love for the sport. I also enjoy creating a bond with my clients throughout the course of a fishing day.

What is your favorite river to guide and why?

That’s a tough question! Every river has its window of fishiness and all have something different to offer depending on when you are there. The Rio Grande is pretty amazing for wild, big fish and it is unique to our area. That fact always makes it a crowd pleaser. It’s very  “wild west” down there. It also has challenges that make every day down there on the river interesting.


What are your 5 “go to” patterns?

-Poundmeister
-Warden’s Worry
-Hare’s Ear
-Royal Simulator
-RS2

What do you love about fly fishing?

I love the solitude, the challenges, the subtle changes that happen on the water, the learning process and being in touch with the natural world.

What is the one place you want to fish before you die?

One of my secret spots!

What do you enjoy doing when you are off the water?

Spending time with my amazing fiancée and our dogs. I enjoy camping, cooking, making beer and getting ready for my next day on the water.


No comments:

Post a Comment